Bob spent over a decade investing venture capital and growing early-stage companies in industries ranging from IT to renewable energy to consumer goods and more by working with leadership teams on strategic plans and maximization of growth and profitability. His experiences have given him diverse insights into what it takes to grow a successful company as well as orchestrate a successful exit.
Previously, Bob spent several years building communications satellites at Orbital ATK with responsibility for the design, manufacture and delivery of power and other bus systems. For a time, one of ‘his’ satellites was broadcasting HBO and other channels to the eastern continental US. You’re welcome!
Bob cut his teeth in the ‘real world’ as an officer in the Marine Corps, predominantly with 3/7, an infantry battalion. His experience leading Marines translated directly into his first civilian job as a process improvement engineer on the factory floor where he was able to make surprisingly significant contributions to the bottom line through a combination of common sense, no-brainer changes and rigorous process analysis.
Bob grew up in Westfield, NJ, where he was active in sports and hiking. He received a Bachelor of Science degree from the U.S. Naval Academy in Aerospace Engineering and furthered his education with an MBA from Virginia Tech. He has 3 adult children.
In his free time, Bob enjoys hiking, skiing, water sports and traveling. He rarely finds a destination he can’t locate a mountain to climb or a worthy walkabout. He has climbed mountains in several countries and states and plans to do more.
B.S., U.S. Naval Academy
MBA, Virginia Tech
Westfield, New Jersey
Has climbed HuanShan near Xi’an China- one of the most dangerous “hikes” in the world
- “Is Your Client Jeopardizing Their Retirement?” Financial Advisor Magazine, April 2017
- “When Life Insurance Impacts the Deal: Considerations for Lenders,” Banking New England, April 2017
- “3 Secrets to making your business more sellable,” Virginia Business, February 2017
- “Selling Your Startup to a Large Corporation: Dilemma or Opportunity?” All Business, January 2017
- (Quoted) “But Did You Die? Keep the Business Alive If You’re Not Around,” The Mid-South Bazaar, February 2017
- “4 Ways Your Business Might Be Worth More Under Trump,” Business2Community, January 2017
- “Family Businesses Should Beware Proposed Estate Tax Regulations”, OpEd, Washington Business Journal, December 2016
- (Quoted) “How Hillary’s Plan to Raise the Estate Tax Could Hurt Small Business”, CNBC Online, October 2016
- (Quoted) “Small Business is up in Arms Over Hillary’s Plan to Raise Estate Tax,” Yahoo News, October 2016
- “Strategic Partnerships Equal Magic Math”, Virginia Business Journal, September 2016
- “Can a Great Brand Enhance Value?,” Virginia Business Journal, May 2016
- “Valuation Red Flags in an Uncertain Economy,” Banking New York, April 2016
- “Enhancing Value,” Compoundings Magazine, April 2016
- “What can we learn about growth from fast growing tech startups?,” NJ Biz, March 2016
- “Business Growth Hacks to Boost Your Value,” Thinking Bigger Magazine, January 2016
- “Choosing a Business Appraisal Firm,”” Construction Business Owner Magazine, January 2016
- “Triple Play: How to Focus Your Efforts on Growing Your Business,” NJ Biz, January 2016
- “Triple Play: What to do Before Selling Your Business,” NJ Biz, November 2015
- “Inside the Valuation Process: a Primer for Commercial Lenders” Banking New York, Nov/Dec 2015
- “The Value if Your Business is Key to Retirement Planning.” Virginia Business Journal, November, 2015.
- “Inside the Valuation Process: a Primer for Commercial Lenders” Banker and Tradesman, Nov/Dec 2015
- “Four Quick Tips for a Successful Business Appraisal,” Construction Business Owner Magazine, December 2015.
- “Inside the Valuation Process: a Primer for Commercial Lenders” Banking New England, Nov/Dec 2015
- “How Long Does a Valuation Last?” Axial (Middle Market Capital Sourcing platform). April, 2015.
- “Boost the Value of Your Business Before it’s Time to Sell.” Virginia Business Journal, July 2015.
- Featured Author, Morgan and Westfield (Middle Market Investment Bank).
Recent Speaking Engagements
- Scaling Up,” Exit Planning Institute Annual Summit, September 2018
- “What’s My Business Really Worth- a Private Equity Panel,” Panelist, September 2018
- “Introduction to Business Valuation,” Instructor, Certified Exit Planning Advisor course, August 2018
- “Valuation: Separating Signal from Noise,” January 2018
- “Three Owners, Six Exits: Success Stories from Exited Entrepreneurs,” Moderator, December 2017
- “Diligence: Avoiding Repricing and Tanked Deals,” Moderator, November 2018
- “The Five Stages of Value Maturity,” Matthews, Carter, & Boyce, June 2017
- “Understanding Exit Options: ESOP vs. M&A,” Moderator, April 2017
- “Meet the Valuators,” Fairfax County Bar (Business Law Section), February 16, 2017
- “Are You Exit Ready? You Can’t Take it With You”, CPE event, February 1, 2017
- “New Year, New Admin: M&A, Valuation, and Owner Exits,” Panel Moderator, January 2017
- “Owner Transitions: Value, Risks, and Opportunities,” CPE for New Jersey Society of CPAs, September 2016
- “Exit Planning Bootcamp,” presented in Newark, NJ, September 2016
- “Business Valuation 101,” presented in Alexandria VA, August, 2015
- “Valuation Matters for Closely Held Companies,” International Lubricant Manufacturers Association annual meeting, 2016, Bermuda.
- National Business Institute faculty member, 2015: “Business Valuation: What Attorney’s Need to Know,” CLE presented in Virginia Beach, VA
- National Business Institute faculty member, 2015: “Business Valuation: What Attorney’s Need to Know,” CLE presented in Virginia Beach and Fairfax, VA
Ready to Get Started?
Getting started is easy! Our pricing is almost always on a flat fee basis and is always driven by the scope of work on a project. We’ll get in touch to understand your requirements, provide a quote, and gets docs out to get the ball rolling.